The Embed Innovation pillar establishes and champions innovation processes for organisations to extract maximum value from ‘good ideas’. The pillar ensures that investment in innovation is strategic, active and of benefit to the organisation and its customers as a whole.
The innovation lifecycle: creating a process for innovation.
The Innovation Lifecycle is a methodology that standardises innovation activities by providing a ‘process for innovation’ within an organisation. It guides and informs activity within the Embed Innovation pillar. The Lifecycle comprises three phases (incubate ideas; transition to reality; and monitor and feedback) and five sub-stages (thought; idea; experiment; deliver; monitor) to provide the process and scaffolding required to take an idea and realise its value.
- Integrate Innovation Management
- Establish Transformation Strategy
- Undertake Digital Transformation
- Plan and Execute Change Management
- Redefine the Project Management Office
- Redefine the ICT Landscape
- Redefine Procurement Processes
- Integrate Agile Solution Implementation
- Operating the CoE of MBT
- Operating DevOps Practices
- Operating a Continuous Change Culture
The Components to Embed Innovation
Innovation Management Office (IMO): established to manage and champion the implementation of the Innovation Lifecycle within an organisation. The IMO forms a core component of the MBT Delivery Team and take ownership for the delivery, development and execution of the Innovation Strategy and Innovation Lifecycle Implementation Plan.
Innovation Strategy: identifies a holistic and organisation-appropriate strategy for embedding innovation activities by outlining current state and future state against each phase of the Innovation Lifecycle. Also includes clear recommendations and objectives to identify how the organisation can transition from current to future state.
Innovation Lifecycle Implementation Plan: defines bespoke activities for implementation against the five sub-stages of the Innovation Lifecycle. Acts as a road map for organisations to journey from their current state to the future state by outlining tangible tasks, assigned responsibilities, timelines and success measures.
Realise the value of ideas
The Innovation Lifecycle provides a governed process to take an idea and realise its value. This enables an organisation to:
- Rapidly develop ideas that have commercial value.
- Respond promptly to market changes and take advantage of opportunities.
- Generate ideas and champion innovation across all areas of the business.
- Enable continuous delivery and persistently innovate.
- Empower product and process owners to develop solutions that enable innovation.
- Apply the same process to incremental improvements for maximum benefit